Volunteering opportunities at the Voice of Vedas is a way to learn, understand and contribute back to the society and at the same time gain experience in the field of your choice. The volunteer program at the Voice of Vedas is specifically designed to best suit the skills of the volunteering individual so the best effective and efficient schedule may be incorporated. A well drafted form is filled to analyse how and in which area the volunteer can be most helpful. The students requiring a certificate for the mandatory volunteer hours required by the Ontario School Board is also issued that is widely acceptable by all the boards in the province. We define volunteering as any activity that involves spending time, unpaid, doing something that aims to benefit the environment or a recognized non-profit organisation. Central to this definition is the fact that volunteering must be a choice freely made by each individual. This can include formal activity undertaken through public, private and voluntary organisations as well as informal community participation.
Formal volunteering is an activity which takes place in non-profit organization or projects and is undertaken:
• to be of benefit to the community and the volunteer;
• of the volunteer’s own free will in order to learn and contribute;
• for no financial payment; and
• in designated volunteer positions only.
• Volunteering benefits the community and the volunteer.
• Volunteering is always a matter of choice.
• Volunteering is a legitimate way in which citizens can participate in the activities of their community.
• Volunteering is a vehicle for individuals or groups to address human, environmental and social needs.
• Volunteering is an activity performed in the not for profit sector only.
• Volunteers do not replace paid worker.
• Volunteering respects the rights, dignity and culture of others.
• Volunteering promotes human rights and equality
Please, visit Voice of Vedas web site at www.vishnumandir.com to fill the volunteer participation form so you may be invited to contribute in this noble cause.
Vishnu Mandir provides religious and cultural inputs into the lives of many children and youth, and several youth have grown up in the Mandir. As many of these youths are now able to give back to the Mandir and positively contribute to the community at large, we aim to become a well known group of volunteers which provides service and support to those who need it.
Starting from Vishnu Mandir, where our presence will be the strongest, we will work outwards to assist local organizations such as food banks and shelters. By doing so we will raise public awareness of the activities of the Mandir, and positively represent Vishnu Mandir and Hinduism. We will be able to provide appropriate documentation for the completion of community service hours.