Face masks or coverings mandatory in York Region
As you know, effective Friday, July 17, 2020, anyone visiting enclosed public spaces must wear a face mask or covering to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in York Region.
York Regional Council endorsed a recommendation from York Region Medical Officer of Health Dr. Karim Kurji to issue an instruction requiring operators of enclosed public spaces, including places of worship, to have a policy in place that prohibits persons from entering premises of the establishment if the person is not wearing a face mask or covering. Signage must be posted at all entrances advising everyone to wear a mask.
The instruction will remain in place until Monday, November 30, 2020.
This policy is subject to appropriate exemptions. Those exempt from wearing a face mask or covering in indoor public spaces are:
- Children under five years of age
- Individuals with medical conditions rendering them unable to safely wear a mask including breathing difficulties or cognitive difficulties or difficulties in hearing or processing information
- Anyone who has trouble breathing
- Anyone who is unable to remove the mask without help
- Anyone who is unconscious or incapacitated
- Anyone wearing a face covering that would inhibit the ability to breathe in any way such as, but not limited to, during moderate to intense physical activity (such as running) or activity that would preclude its use (such as swimming)
- Anyone who requires accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code
This instruction is applied in good faith and provides an opportunity to educate people on the use of face masks and coverings, combined with other ongoing recommended public health practices.
Learn more about what you need to know as an operator at york.ca/mandatorymasks where you will find information, resources and materials including a downloadable sample policy and downloadable signage.
Please continue to encourage your congregation to practice physical distancing of at least two metres, enhanced handwashing and respiratory etiquette and to follow provincial guidelines on social circles and social gatherings.
For information on York Region’s response to COVID-19, visit york.ca/covid19
Emily McMorris | Liaison Officer, Health Emergency Operations Centre
Community and Health Services Department
The Regional Municipality of York | 17250 Yonge Street | Newmarket, ON L3Y 6Z1
1-877-464-9675 ext. 74164 | [email protected]